Teaches students basic academic, social, and other formative skills in public or private schools at the elementary level.
This career is part of the Education and Training cluster Teaching/Training pathway.
A person in this career:
- Establishes and enforces rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among the students for whom they are responsible.
- Instructs students individually and in groups, using various teaching methods, such as lectures, discussions, and demonstrations.
- Adapts teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests.
- Confers with parents or guardians, teachers, counselors, and administrators to resolve students' behavioral and academic problems.
- Prepares students for later grades by encouraging them to explore learning opportunities and to persevere with challenging tasks.
- Prepares materials and classrooms for class activities.
- Provides a variety of materials and resources for children to explore, manipulate, and use, both in learning activities and in imaginative play.
- Establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects and communicate those objectives to students.
- Guides and counsels students with adjustment or academic problems, or special academic interests.
- Observes and evaluates students' performance, behavior, social development, and physical health.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.