Teaches students in one or more subjects, such as English, mathematics, or social studies at the secondary level in public or private schools. May be designated according to subject matter specialty.
This career is part of the Education and Training cluster Teaching/Training pathway.
A person in this career:
- Prepares materials and classrooms for class activities.
- Instructs through lectures, discussions, and demonstrations in one or more subjects, such as English, mathematics, or social studies.
- Establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects and communicate those objectives to students.
- Establishes and enforces rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among students.
- Adapts teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests.
- Maintains accurate and complete student records as required by laws, district policies, and administrative regulations.
- Observes and evaluates students' performance, behavior, social development, and physical health.
- Plans and conducts activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, and work time that provides students with opportunities to observe, question, and investigate.
- Confers with parents or guardians, other teachers, counselors, and administrators to resolve students' behavioral and academic problems.
- Assigns and grades class work and homework.