Arbitrates, advises, adjudicates, or administers justice in a court of law. May sentence defendant in criminal cases according to government statutes or sentencing guidelines. May determine liability of defendant in civil cases. May perform wedding ceremonies.
This career is part of the Law, Public Safety, Corrections and Security cluster Legal Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Reads documents on pleadings and motions to ascertain facts and issues.
- Rules on the admissibility of evidence and methods of conducting testimony.
- Instructs juries on applicable laws, directs juries to deduce the facts from the evidence presented, and hears their verdicts.
- Awards compensation for damages to litigants in civil cases in relation to findings by juries or by the court.
- Monitors proceedings to make sure all applicable rules and procedures are followed.
- Presides over hearings and listens to allegations made by plaintiffs to determine whether the evidence supports the charges.
- Researches legal issues and writes opinions on the issues.
- Writes decisions on cases.
- Advises attorneys, juries, litigants, and court personnel regarding conduct, issues, and proceedings.
- Interprets and enforces rules of procedure or establishes new rules in situations where there are no procedures already established by law.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.