Facilitates negotiation and conflict resolution through dialogue. Resolves conflicts outside of the court system by mutual consent of the parties involved.
This career is part of the Law, Public Safety, Corrections and Security cluster Legal Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Uses mediation techniques to facilitate communication between disputants, to further parties' understanding of different perspectives, and to guide parties toward mutual agreement.
- Confers with disputants to clarify issues, identify underlying concerns, and develop an understanding of their respective needs and interests.
- Prepares settlement agreements for disputants to sign.
- Sets up appointments for parties to meet for mediation.
- Interviews claimants, agents, or witnesses to obtain information about disputed issues.
- Applies relevant laws, regulations, policies, or precedents to reach conclusions.
- Conducts initial meetings with disputants to outline the arbitration process, settle procedural matters such as fees, or determine details such as witness numbers or time requirements.
- Evaluates information from documents such as claim applications, birth or death certificates, or physician or employer records.
- Authorizes payment of valid claims.
- Conducts hearings to obtain information or evidence relative to disposition of claims.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.