Represents clients in criminal and civil litigation and other legal proceedings, draws up legal documents, or manages or advises clients on legal transactions. May specialize in a single area or may practice broadly in many areas of law.
This career is part of the Law, Public Safety, Corrections and Security cluster Legal Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Analyzes the probable outcomes of cases, using knowledge of legal precedents.
- Advises clients concerning business transactions, claim liability, advisability of prosecuting or defending lawsuits, or legal rights and obligations.
- Selects jurors, argues motions, meets with judges, and questions witnesses during the course of a trial.
- Interprets laws, rulings and regulations for individuals and businesses.
- Presents evidence to defend clients or prosecute defendants in criminal or civil litigation.
- Represent clients in court or before government agencies.
- Presents and summarizes cases to judges and juries.
- Studies Constitution, statutes, decisions, regulations, and ordinances of quasi-judicial bodies to determine ramifications for cases.
- Prepares, drafts, and reviews legal documents, such as wills, deeds, patent applications, mortgages, leases, and contracts.
- Negotiates settlements of civil disputes.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.