Devises methods to improve oil and gas well production, and determines the need for new or modified tool designs. Oversees drilling and offers technical advice to achieve economical and satisfactory progress.
This career is part of the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics cluster Engineering and Technology pathway.
A person in this career:
- Assesses costs and estimates the production capabilities and economic value of oil and gas wells, to evaluate the economic viability of potential drilling sites.
- Develops plans for oil and gas field drilling, and for product recovery and treatment.
- Directs and monitors the completion and evaluation of wells, well testing, or well surveys.
- Analyzes data to recommend placement of wells and supplementary processes to enhance production.
- Monitors production rates, and plans rework processes to improve production.
- Interprets drilling and testing information for personnel.
- Specifies and supervise well modification and stimulation programs to maximize oil and gas recovery.
- Assists engineering and other personnel to solve operating problems.
- Confers with scientific, engineering, and technical personnel to resolve design, research, and testing problems.
- Coordinates the installation, maintenance, and operation of mining and oil field equipment.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.