Develops new or improved designs for vehicle structural members, engines, transmissions or other vehicle systems, using computer-assisted design technology. Directs building, modification or testing of vehicle or components.
This career is part of the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics cluster Engineering and Technology pathway.
A person in this career:
- Conducts or directs system-level automotive testing.
- Conducts automotive design reviews.
- Provides technical direction to other engineers or engineering support personnel.
- Develops engineering specifications or cost estimates for automotive design concepts.
- Performs failure, variation, or root cause analyses.
- Establishes production or quality control standards.
- Writes, reviews, or maintains engineering documentation.
- Prepares or presents technical or project status reports.
- Designs vehicles that use lighter materials, such as aluminum, magnesium alloy, or plastic, to improve fuel efficiency.
- Alters or modifies designs to obtain specified functional or operational performance.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.