Performs site-specific engineering analysis or evaluation of energy efficiency and solar projects involving residential, commercial, or industrial customers. Designs solar domestic hot water and space heating systems for new and existing structures, applying knowledge of structural energy requirements, local climates, solar technology, and thermodynamics.
This career is part of the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics cluster Engineering and Technology pathway.
A person in this career:
- Creates plans for solar energy system development, monitoring, and evaluation activities.
- Conducts engineering site audits to collect structural, electrical, and related site information for use in the design of residential or commercial solar power systems.
- Designs or coordinates design of photovoltaic (PV) or solar thermal systems, including system components, for residential and commercial buildings.
- Creates electrical single-line diagrams, panel schedules, or connection diagrams for solar electric systems, using computer-aided design (CAD) software.
- Reviews specifications and recommends engineering or manufacturing changes to achieve solar design objectives.
- Develops design specifications and functional requirements for residential, commercial, or industrial solar energy systems or components.
- Provides technical direction or support to installation teams during installation, start-up, testing, system commissioning, or performance monitoring.
- Performs computer simulation of solar photovoltaic (PV) generation system performance or energy production to optimize efficiency.
- Develops standard operation procedures and quality or safety standards for solar installation work.
- Creates checklists for review or inspection of completed solar installation projects.