Researches, designs, develops or tests automation, intelligent systems, smart devices or industrial systems control.
This career is part of the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics cluster Engineering and Technology pathway.
A person in this career:
- Designs engineering systems for the automation of industrial tasks.
- Creates mechanical design documents for parts, assemblies, or finished products.
- Maintains technical project files.
- Implements or tests design solutions.
- Creates mechanical models and tolerance analyses to simulate mechatronic design concepts.
- Conducts studies to determine the feasibility, costs, or performance benefits of new mechatronic equipment.
- Publishes engineering reports documenting design details or qualification test results.
- Researches, selects, or applies sensors, communication technologies, or control devices for motion control, position sensing, pressure sensing, or electronic communication.
- Identifies and selects materials appropriate for mechatronic system designs.
- Applies mechatronic or automated solutions to the transfer of materials, components, or finished goods.