Defines, plans, or executes biofuels/biodiesel research programs that evaluate alternative feedstock and process technologies with near-term commercial potential.
This career is part of the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics cluster Engineering and Technology pathway.
A person in this career:
- Designs or conducts applied biodiesel or biofuels research projects on topics such as transport, thermodynamics, mixing, filtration, distillation, fermentation, extraction, and separation.
- Analyzes data from biofuels studies, such as fluid dynamics, water treatments, or solvent extraction and recovery processes.
- Prepares, or oversees the preparation of, experimental plans for biofuels research or development.
- Provides technical or scientific guidance to technical staff in the conduct of biofuels research or development.
- Proposes new biofuels products, processes, technologies or applications based on findings from applied biofuels or biomass research projects.
- Conducts experiments on biomass or pretreatment technologies.
- Prepares biofuels research and development reports for senior management or technical professionals.
- Develops lab scale models of industrial scale processes, such as fermentation.
- Oversees biodiesel/biofuels prototyping or development projects.
- Conducts experiments to test new or alternate feedstock fermentation processes.