Plans and conducts food service or nutritional programs to assist in the promotion of health and control of disease. May supervise activities of a department providing quantity food services, counsel individuals, or conduct nutritional research.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Therapeutic Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Monitors food service operations to ensure conformance to nutritional, safety, sanitation and quality standards.
- Assesses nutritional needs, diet restrictions and current health plans to develop and implement dietary-care plans and provide nutritional counseling.
- Advises patients and their families on nutritional principles, dietary plans, diet modifications, and food selection and preparation.
- Counsels individuals and groups on basic rules of good nutrition, healthy eating habits, and nutrition monitoring to improve their quality of life.
- Consults with physicians and health care personnel to determine nutritional needs and diet restrictions of patient or client.
- Plans, conducts, and evaluates dietary, nutritional, and epidemiological research.
- Writes research reports and other publications to document and communicate research findings.
- Purchases food in accordance with health and safety codes.
- Manages quantity food service departments or clinical and community nutrition services.
- Coordinates diet counseling services.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.