Directly supervises and coordinates activities of workers engaged in preparing and serving food.
This career is part of the Hospitality and Tourism cluster Restaurants and Food/Beverage Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Performs various financial activities, such as cash handling, deposit preparation, and payroll.
- Resolves customer complaints regarding food service.
- Compiles and balances cash receipts at the end of the day or shift.
- Presents bills and accepts payments.
- Inspects supplies, equipment, and work areas to ensure efficient service and conformance to standards.
- Performs food preparation and serving duties, such as carving meat, preparing flambe dishes, or serving wine and liquor.
- Trains workers in food preparation, and in service, sanitation, and safety procedures.
- Supervises and participates in kitchen and dining area cleaning activities.
- Performs personnel actions, such as hiring and firing staff, providing employee orientation and training, and conducting supervisory activities, such as creating work schedules or organizing employee time sheets.
- Controls inventories of food, equipment, smallware, and liquor, and reports shortages to designated personnel.