Prepares, seasons, and cooks dishes such as soups, meats, vegetables, or desserts in restaurants. May order supplies, keep records and accounts, price items on menu, or plan menu.
This career is part of the Hospitality and Tourism cluster Restaurants and Food/Beverage Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Inspects and cleans food preparation areas, such as equipment and work surfaces, or serving areas to ensure safe and sanitary food-handling practices.
- Ensures freshness of food and ingredients by checking for quality, keeping track of old and new items, and rotating stock.
- Seasons and cooks food according to recipes or personal judgment and experience.
- Ensures food is stored and cooked at correct temperature by regulating temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, and roasters.
- Turns or stirs foods to ensure even cooking.
- Observes and tests foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently, using methods such as tasting, smelling, or piercing them with utensils.
- Portions, arranges, and garnishes food, and serves food to waiters or patrons.
- Weighs, measures, and mixes ingredients according to recipes or personal judgment, using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
- Bakes, roasts, broils, and steams meats, fish, vegetables, and other foods.
- Washes, peels, cuts, and seeds fruits and vegetables to prepare them for consumption.