Prepares meals in private homes. Includes personal chefs.
This career is part of the Hospitality and Tourism cluster Restaurants and Food/Beverage Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Plans menus according to employers' needs and diet restrictions.
- Stocks, organizes, and cleans kitchens and cooking utensils.
- Cools, packages, labels, and freezes foods for later consumption and provides instructions for reheating.
- Peels, washes, trims, and cooks vegetables and meats, and bakes breads and pastries.
- Keeps records pertaining to menus, finances, and other business-related issues.
- Prepares meals in private homes according to employers' recipes or tastes, handling all meals for the family and possibly for other household staff.
- Shops for or orders food and kitchen supplies and equipment.
- Specializes in preparing fancy dishes or food for special diets.
- Directs the operation and organization of kitchens and all food-related activities, including the presentation and serving of food.
- Creates and explores new cuisines.