Performs a variety of food preparation duties other than cooking, such as preparing cold foods and shellfish, slicing meat, and brewing coffee or tea.
This career is part of the Hospitality and Tourism cluster Restaurants and Food/Beverage Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Cleans and sanitizes work areas, equipment, utensils, dishes, or silverware.
- Stores food in designated containers and storage areas to prevent spoilage.
- Portions and wraps the food, or places it directly on plates for service to patrons.
- Takes and records temperature of food and food storage areas, such as refrigerators and freezers.
- Prepares a variety of foods, such as meats, vegetables, or desserts, according to customers' orders or supervisors' instructions, following approved procedures.
- Places food trays over food warmers for immediate service, or stores them in refrigerated storage cabinets.
- Packages take-out foods or serves food to customers.
- Stocks cupboards and refrigerators, and tends salad bars and buffet meals.
- Washes, peels, and cuts various foods, such as fruits and vegetables, to prepare for cooking or serving.
- Carries food supplies, equipment, and utensils to and from storage and work areas.