Performs duties which combine preparing and serving food and nonalcoholic beverages.
This career is part of the Hospitality and Tourism cluster Restaurants and Food/Beverage Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Communicates with customers regarding orders, comments, and complaints.
- Accepts payment from customers, and makes change as necessary.
- Requests and records customer orders, and computes bills using cash registers, multi counting machines, or pencil and paper.
- Prepares daily food items, and cooks simple foods and beverages, such as sandwiches, salads, soups, pizza, or coffee, using proper safety precautions and sanitary measures.
- Cleans and organizes eating, service, and kitchen areas.
- Monitors and orders supplies or food items and restocks as necessary to maintain inventory.
- Serves customers in eating places that specialize in fast service and inexpensive carry-out food.
- Collects and returns dirty dishes to the kitchen for washing.
- Washes dishes, glassware, and silverware after meals.
- Notifies kitchen personnel of shortages or special orders.