Serves food to diners at counter or from a steam table.
This career is part of the Hospitality and Tourism cluster Restaurants and Food/Beverage Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Scrubs and polishes counters, steam tables, and other equipment, and cleans glasses, dishes, and fountain equipment.
- Prepares bills for food, using cash registers, calculators, or adding machines, and accepts payment or makes change.
- Performs cleaning duties such as sweeping, mopping, and washing dishes, to keep equipment and facilities sanitary.
- Balances receipts and payments in cash registers.
- Serves food, beverages, or desserts to customers in such settings as take-out counters of restaurants or lunchrooms, business or industrial establishments, hotel rooms, and cars.
- Cooks food or prepares food items, such as sandwiches, salads, and ice cream dishes, using standard formulas or following directions.
- Brews coffee and tea, and fills containers with requested beverages.
- Wraps menu item such as sandwiches, hot entrees, and desserts for serving or for takeout.
- Replenishes foods at serving stations.
- Takes customers' orders and writes ordered items on tickets, giving ticket stubs to customers when needed to identify filled orders.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.