Repairs and replaces tires.
This career is part of the Transportation, Distribution and Logistics cluster Facility and Mobile Equipment Maintenance pathway.
A person in this career:
- Raises vehicles, using hydraulic jacks.
- Remounts wheels onto vehicles.
- Unbolts and removes wheels from vehicles, using lug wrenches or other hand or power tools.
- Places wheels on balancing machines to determine counterweights required to balance wheels.
- Identifies tire size and ply and inflates tires accordingly.
- Replaces valve stems and removes puncturing objects.
- Hammers required counterweights onto rims of wheels.
- Reassembles tires onto wheels.
- Seals punctures in tubeless tires by inserting adhesive material and expanding rubber plugs into punctures, using hand tools.
- Inspects tire casings for defects, such as holes or tears.