Plans, directs, or coordinates the work activities and resources necessary for manufacturing products in accordance with cost, quality, and quantity specifications.
This career is part of the Business Management and Administration cluster Operations Management pathway.
A person in this career:
- Reviews processing schedules or production orders to make decisions concerning inventory requirements, staffing requirements, work procedures, or duty assignments, considering budgetary limitations and time constraints.
- Develops or implements production tracking or quality control systems, analyzing production, quality control, maintenance, or other operational reports, to detect production problems.
- Directs or coordinates production, processing, distribution, or marketing activities of industrial organizations.
- Reviews operations and confers with technical or administrative staff to resolve production or processing problems.
- Hires, trains, evaluates, or discharges staff or resolves personnel grievances.
- Prepares and maintains production reports or personnel records.
- Sets and monitors product standards, examining samples of raw products or directing testing during processing, to ensure finished products are of prescribed quality.
- Develops budgets or approves expenditures for supplies, materials, or human resources, ensuring that materials, labor, or equipment are used efficiently to meet production targets.
- Initiates or coordinates inventory or cost control programs.
- Coordinates or recommends procedures for facility or equipment maintenance or modification, including the replacement of machines.