Plans, directs and coordinates the transportation operations within an organization, or the activities of organizations that provide transportation services.
This career is part of the Transportation, Distribution and Logistics cluster Logistics Planning and Management Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Plans, organizes, or manages the work of subordinate staff to ensure that the work is accomplished in a manner consistent with organizational requirements.
- Directs activities related to dispatching, routing, or tracking transportation vehicles, such as aircraft or railroad cars.
- Monitors operations to ensure that staff members comply with administrative policies and procedures, safety rules, union contracts, environmental policies, or government regulations.
- Serves as contact persons for all workers within assigned territories.
- Implements schedule or policy changes for transportation services.
- Monitors spending to ensure that expenses are consistent with approved budgets.
- Promotes safe work activities by conducting safety audits, attending company safety meetings, or meeting with individual staff members.
- Prepares management recommendations, such as proposed fee and tariff increases or schedule changes.
- Directs investigations to verify and resolve customer or shipper complaints.
- Directs or coordinates the activities of operations department to obtain use of equipment, facilities, or human resources.