Plans, directs, or coordinates the storage or distribution operations within an organization or the activities of organizations that are engaged in storing or distributing materials or products.
This career is part of the Transportation, Distribution and Logistics cluster Logistics Planning and Management Services pathway, Warehousing and Distribution Center Operations pathway.
A person in this career:
- Supervises the activities of workers engaged in receiving, storing, testing, and shipping products or materials.
- Plans, develops, or implements warehouse safety and security programs and activities.
- Inspects physical conditions of warehouses, vehicle fleets, or equipment and order testing, maintenance, repairs, or replacements.
- Responds to customers' or shippers' questions and complaints regarding storage and distribution services.
- Develops and documents standard and emergency operating procedures for receiving, handling, storing, shipping, or salvaging products or materials.
- Monitors inventory levels of products or materials in warehouses.
- Reviews invoices, work orders, consumption reports, or demand forecasts to estimate peak delivery periods and to issue work assignments.
- Tracks and traces goods while they are on route to their destinations, expediting orders when necessary.
- Develops storage and distribution models that include factors such as warehouse locations, customer locations, or available transportation modes to maximize operational efficiency or sustainability.
- Participates in setting transportation and service rates.