Patrols assigned areas to enforce laws and ordinances, regulate traffic, control crowds, prevent crime, and arrest violators.
This career is part of the Law, Public Safety, Corrections and Security cluster Law Enforcement Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Provides for public safety by maintaining order, responding to emergencies, protecting people and property, enforcing motor vehicle and criminal laws, and promoting good community relations.
- Monitors, notes, reports, and investigates suspicious persons and situations, safety hazards, and unusual or illegal activity in patrol area.
- Records facts to prepare reports that document incidents and activities.
- Identifies, pursues, and arrests suspects and perpetrators of criminal acts.
- Patrols specific area on foot, horseback, or motorized conveyance, responding promptly to calls for assistance.
- Reviews facts of incidents to determine if criminal act or statute violations were involved.
- Renders aid to accidents victims and other persons requiring first aid for physical injuries.
- Investigates traffic accidents and other accidents to determine causes and to determine if a crime has been committed.
- Testifies in court to present evidence or act as witness in traffic and criminal cases.
- Photographs or draws diagrams of crime or accident scenes and interviews principals and eyewitnesses.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.