Patrols assigned area to enforce laws and ordinances, regulate traffic, control crowds, prevent crime, and arrest violators.
This career is part of the Law, Public Safety, Corrections and Security cluster Law Enforcement Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Identifies, pursues, and arrests suspects and perpetrators of criminal acts.
- Provides for public safety by maintaining order, responding to emergencies, protecting people and property, enforcing motor vehicle and criminal laws, and promoting good community relations.
- Records facts to prepare reports that document incidents and activities.
- Renders aid to accident victims and other persons requiring first aid for physical injuries.
- Reviews facts of incidents to determine if criminal act or statute violations were involved.
- Monitors, notes, reports, and investigates suspicious persons and situations, safety hazards, and unusual or illegal activity in patrol area.
- Testifies in court to present evidence or act as witness in traffic and criminal cases.
- Relays complaint and emergency-request information to appropriate agency dispatchers.
- Monitors traffic to ensure motorists observe traffic regulations and exhibit safe driving procedures.
- Photographs or draws diagrams of crime or accident scenes and interviews principals and eyewitnesses.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.