Investigates and inspects persons, common carriers, goods, and merchandise, arriving in or departing from the United States or between states to detect violations of immigration and customs laws and regulations.
This career is part of the Law, Public Safety, Corrections and Security cluster Law Enforcement Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Examines immigration applications, visas, and passports and interviews persons to determine eligibility for admission, residence, and travel in the U.S.
- Detains persons found to be in violation of customs or immigration laws and arranges for legal action, such as deportation.
- Inspects cargo, baggage, and personal articles entering or leaving U.S. for compliance with revenue laws and U.S. customs regulations.
- Locates and seizes contraband, undeclared merchandise, and vehicles, aircraft, or boats that contain such merchandise.
- Interprets and explains laws and regulations to travelers, prospective immigrants, shippers, and manufacturers.
- Institutes civil and criminal prosecutions and cooperates with other law enforcement agencies in the investigation and prosecution of those in violation of immigration or customs laws.
- Testifies regarding decisions at immigration appeals or in federal court.
- Records and reports job-related activities, findings, transactions, violations, discrepancies, and decisions.
- Determines duty and taxes to be paid on goods.
- Collects samples of merchandise for examination, appraisal, or testing.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.