Gathers, analyzes, compiles and reports information regarding individuals or organizations to clients, or detects occurrences of unlawful acts or infractions of rules in private establishment.
This career is part of the Law, Public Safety, Corrections and Security cluster Law Enforcement Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Writes reports or case summaries to document investigations.
- Conducts private investigations on a paid basis.
- Searches computer databases, credit reports, public records, tax or legal filings, or other resources to locate persons or to compile information for investigations.
- Conducts personal background investigations, such as pre-employment checks, to obtain information about an individual's character, financial status, or personal history.
- Exposes fraudulent insurance claims or stolen funds.
- Obtains and analyzes information on suspects, crimes, or disturbances to solve cases, to identify criminal activity, or to gather information for court cases.
- Testifies at hearings or court trials to present evidence.
- Questions persons to obtain evidence for cases of divorce, child custody, or missing persons or information about individuals' character or financial status.
- Observes and documents activities of individuals to detect unlawful acts or to obtain evidence for cases, using binoculars and still or video cameras.
- Confers with establishment officials, security departments, police, or postal officials to identify problems, provide information, or receive instructions.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.