Conducts investigations to prevent crimes or solve criminal cases.
This career is part of the Law, Public Safety, Corrections and Security cluster Law Enforcement Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Provides testimony as a witness in court.
- Checks victims for signs of life, such as breathing and pulse.
- Obtains facts or statements from complainants, witnesses, and accused persons and records interviews, using recording device.
- Secures deceased body and obtains evidence from it, preventing bystanders from tampering with it prior to medical examiner's arrival.
- Records progress of investigation, maintains informational files on suspects, and submits reports to commanding officer or magistrate to authorize warrants.
- Prepares charges or responses to charges, or information for court cases, according to formalized procedures.
- Obtains evidence from suspects.
- Examines crime scenes to obtain clues and evidence, such as loose hairs, fibers, clothing, or weapons.
- Preserve, processes, and analyzes items of evidence obtained from crime scenes and suspects, placing them in proper containers and destroying evidence no longer needed.
- Obtains summary of incident from officer in charge at crime scene, taking care to avoid disturbing evidence.