Enforces or ensures compliance with laws and regulations governing financial and securities institutions and financial and real estate transactions. May examine, verify, or authenticate records.
This career is part of the Government and Public Administration cluster Governance pathway.
A person in this career:
- Prepares reports, exhibits and other supporting schedules that detail an institution's safety and soundness, compliance with laws and regulations, and recommended solutions to questionable financial conditions.
- Investigates activities of institutions to enforce laws and regulations and to ensure legality of transactions and operations or financial solvency.
- Recommends actions to ensure compliance with laws and regulations, or to protect solvency of institutions.
- Resolves problems concerning the overall financial integrity of banking institutions including loan investment portfolios, capital, earnings, and specific or large troubled accounts.
- Directs and participates in formal and informal meetings with bank directors, trustees, senior management, counsels, outside accountants and consultants to gather information and discuss findings.
- Reviews balance sheets, operating income and expense accounts, and loan documentation to confirm institution assets and liabilities.
- Plans, supervises, and reviews work of assigned subordinates.
- Reviews audit reports of internal and external auditors to monitor adequacy of scope of reports or to discover specific weaknesses in internal routines.
- Trains other examiners in the financial examination process.
- Reviews and analyzes new, proposed, or revised laws, regulations, policies, and procedures to interpret their meaning and determine their impact.