Determines tax liability or collects taxes from individuals or business firms according to prescribed laws and regulations.
This career is part of the Government and Public Administration cluster Revenue and Taxation pathway.
A person in this career:
- Collects taxes from individuals or businesses according to prescribed laws and regulations.
- Maintains knowledge of tax code changes, and of accounting procedures and theory to properly evaluate financial information.
- Maintains records for each case, including contacts, telephone numbers, and actions taken.
- Contacts taxpayers by mail or telephone to address discrepancies and to request supporting documentation.
- Sends notices to taxpayers when accounts are delinquent.
- Checks tax forms to verify that names and taxpayer identification numbers are correct, that computations have been performed correctly, or that amounts match those on supporting documentation.
- Answers questions from taxpayers and assists them in completing tax forms.
- Imposes payment deadlines on delinquent taxpayers and monitors payments to ensure that deadlines are met.
- Notifies taxpayers of any overpayment or underpayment, and either issues a refund or requests further payment.