Determines tax liability or collects taxes from individuals or business firms according to prescribed laws and regulations.
This career is part of the Government and Public Administration cluster Revenue and Taxation pathway.
A person in this career:
- Collects taxes according to laws and regulations.
- Maintains knowledge of tax code changes, and accounting procedures to properly evaluate financial information.
- Maintains tax records for each case.
- Conducts field audits and investigates income tax returns to verify or amend tax liabilities.
- Selects appropriate courses of action to resolve tax issues, such as partial payment agreement or seizure and sale of property.
- Notifies taxpayers of refund or request for further payment.
- Imposes deadlines and monitors payments on delinquent accounts.
- Checks tax forms to verify that information is correct.
- Answers questions from taxpayers and assists them in completing tax forms.