Examines and analyzes accounting records to determine financial status of establishment and prepares financial reports concerning operating procedures.
This career is part of the Finance cluster Accounting pathway.
A person in this career:
- Prepares detailed reports on audit findings.
- Reports to management about asset utilization and audit results, and recommends changes in operations and financial activities.
- Collects and analyzes data to detect deficient controls, duplicated effort, extravagance, fraud, or non-compliance with laws, regulations, and management policies.
- Supervises auditing of establishments, and determines scope of investigation required.
- Inspects account books and accounting systems for efficiency, effectiveness, and use of accepted accounting procedures to record transactions.
- Prepares, analyzes, and verifies annual reports, financial statements, and other records, using accepted accounting and statistical procedures to assess financial condition and facilitate financial planning.
- Reviews data about material assets, net worth, liabilities, capital stock, surplus, income, and expenditures.
- Examines and evaluates financial and information systems, recommending controls to ensure system reliability and data integrity.
- Confers with company officials about financial and regulatory matters.
- Inspects cash on hand, notes receivable and payable, negotiable securities, and canceled checks to confirm records are accurate.