Receives and processes incoming orders for materials, merchandise, classified ads, or services such as repairs, installations, or rental of facilities. Generally receives orders via mail, phone, fax, or other electronic means. Duties include informing customers of receipt, prices, shipping dates, and delays; preparing contracts; and handling complaints.
This career is part of the Business Management and Administration cluster Administrative Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Verifies customer and order information for correctness, checking it against previously obtained information as necessary.
- Receives and responds to customer complaints.
- Reviews orders for completeness according to reporting procedures and forwards incomplete orders for further processing.
- Informs customers by mail or telephone of order information, such as unit prices, shipping dates, and any anticipated delays.
- Obtains customers' names, addresses, and billing information, product numbers, and specifications of items to be purchased, and enters this information on order forms.
- Recommends merchandise or services that will meet customers' needs.
- Prepares invoices, shipping documents, and contracts.
- Confers with production, sales, shipping, warehouse, or common carrier personnel to expedite or trace shipments.
- Computes total charges for merchandise or services and shipping charges.
- Directs specified departments or units to prepare and ship orders to designated locations.