Diagnoses and treats diseases, injuries, and malformations of teeth and gums and related oral structures. May treat diseases of nerve, pulp, and other dental tissues affecting vitality of teeth.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Therapeutic Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Uses masks, gloves, and safety glasses to protect patients and self from infectious diseases.
- Examines teeth, gums, and related tissues, using dental instruments, x-rays, or other diagnostic equipment, to evaluate dental health, diagnose diseases or abnormalities, and plan appropriate treatments.
- Administers anesthetics to limit the amount of pain experienced by patients during procedures.
- Uses dental air turbines, hand instruments, dental appliances, or surgical implements.
- Formulates plan of treatment for patient's teeth and mouth tissue.
- Diagnoses and treats diseases, injuries, or malformations of teeth, gums, or related oral structures and provides preventive or corrective services.
- Writes prescriptions for antibiotics or other medications.
- Designs, makes, or fits prosthodontic appliances, such as space maintainers, bridges, or dentures, or writes fabrication instructions or prescriptions for denturists or dental technicians.
- Advises or instructs patients regarding preventive dental care, the causes and treatment of dental problems, or oral health care services.
- Fills pulp chamber and canal with endodontic materials.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.