Plans, directs, or coordinates the activities of buyers, purchasing officers, and related workers involved in purchasing materials, products, and services. Includes wholesale or retail trade merchandising managers and procurement managers.
This career is part of the Business Management and Administration cluster Operations Management pathway.
A person in this career:
- Represents companies in negotiating contracts and formulating policies with suppliers.
- Develops cost reduction strategies and savings plans.
- Develops and implements purchasing and contract management instructions, policies, and procedures.
- Prepares bid awards requiring board approval.
- Directs and coordinates activities of personnel engaged in buying, selling, and distributing materials, equipment, machinery, and supplies.
- Locates vendors of materials, equipment or supplies, and interview them to determine product availability and terms of sales.
- Interviews and hires staff, and oversees staff training.
- Prepares and processes requisitions and purchase orders for supplies and equipment.
- Reviews, evaluates, and approves specifications for issuing and awarding bids.
- Reviews purchase order claims and contracts for conformance to company policy.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.