Purchases machinery, equipment, tools, parts, supplies, or services necessary for the operation of an establishment. Purchases raw or semi-finished materials for manufacturing.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production Process Development pathway.
A person in this career:
- Purchases the highest quality merchandise at the lowest possible price and in correct amounts.
- Prepares purchase orders or bid proposals, and reviews requisitions.
- Researches and evaluates suppliers.
- Analyzes contract proposals, financial reports, and other information to determine reasonable prices.
- Monitors and follows applicable laws and regulations.
- Negotiates contracts with suppliers, vendors, and other representatives.
- Monitors shipments to make sure goods come in on time.
- Confers with staff, users, and suppliers to discuss defective goods or services and to resolve problems.
- Monitors contract performance to ensure compliance with contractual obligations.
- Maintains records of items purchased, costs, quality, delivery, and inventory.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.