Sells goods for wholesalers or manufacturers to businesses or groups of individuals. Work requires substantial knowledge of items sold.
This career is part of the Marketing cluster Professional Sales pathway.
A person in this career:
- Contacts regular and prospective customers to demonstrate products, explain product features, and solicit orders.
- Recommends products to customers, based on customers' needs and interests.
- Answers customers' questions about products, prices, availability, product uses, and credit terms.
- Estimates or quotes prices, credit or contract terms, warranties, and delivery dates.
- Consults with clients after sales or contract signings to resolve problems and to provide ongoing support.
- Provides customers with product samples and catalogs.
- Identifies prospective customers by using business directories, following leads from existing clients, participating in organizations and clubs, and attending trade shows and conferences.
- Prepares drawings, estimates, and bids that meet specific customer needs.
- Monitors market conditions, product innovations, and competitors' products, prices, and sales.
- Performs administrative duties, such as preparing sales budgets and reports, keeping sales records, and filing expense account reports.