Buys merchandise or commodities, other than farm products, for resale to consumers at the wholesale or retail level, including both durable and nondurable goods. Analyzes past buying trends, sales records, price, and quality of merchandise to determine value and yield. Selects, orders, and authorizes payment for merchandise according to contractual agreements. May conduct meetings with sales personnel and introduce new products.
This career is part of the Marketing cluster Merchandising pathway.
A person in this career:
- Buys merchandise or commodities for resale to wholesale or retail consumers.
- Negotiates prices, discount terms, or transportation arrangements with suppliers.
- Examines, selects, orders, or purchases merchandise consistent with quality, quantity, specification requirements, or other factors, such as environmental soundness.
- Recommends mark-up rates, markdown rates, or merchandise selling prices.
- Obtains information about customer needs or preferences by conferring with sales or purchasing personnel.
- Authorizes payment of invoices or return of merchandise.
- Monitors and analyzes sales records, trends, or economic conditions to anticipate consumer buying patterns and determine what the company will sell and how much inventory is needed.
- Collaborates with vendors to obtain or develop desired products.
- Inspects merchandise or products to determine quality, value, or yield.
- Conducts sales meetings to introduce new merchandise.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.