Plans, directs, or coordinates marketing policies and programs, such as determining the demand for products and services offered by a firm and its competitors, and identify potential customers. Develops pricing strategies with the goal of maximizing the firm's profits or share of the market while ensuring the firm's customers are satisfied. Oversees product development or monitors trends that indicate the need for new products and services.
This career is part of the Marketing cluster Marketing Management pathway.
A person in this career:
- Identifies, develops, or evaluates marketing strategy, based on knowledge of establishment objectives, market characteristics, and cost and markup factors.
- Formulates, directs, or coordinates marketing activities or policies to promote products or services, working with advertising or promotion managers.
- Evaluates the financial aspects of product development, such as budgets, expenditures, research and development appropriations, or return-on-investment and profit-loss projections.
- Develops pricing strategies, balancing firm objectives and customer satisfaction.
- Compiles lists describing product or service offerings.
- Directs the hiring, training, or performance evaluations of marketing or sales staff and oversee their daily activities.
- Consults with product development personnel on product specifications such as design, color, or packaging.
- Uses sales forecasting or strategic planning to ensure the sale and profitability of products, lines, or services, analyzing business developments and monitoring market trends.
- Negotiates contracts with vendors or distributors to manage product distribution, establishing distribution networks or developing distribution strategies.
- Coordinates or participates in promotional activities or trade shows, working with developers, advertisers, or production managers, to market products or services.