Demonstrates and teaches patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
This career is part of the Education and Training cluster Teaching/Training pathway.
A person in this career:
- Supervises students' laboratory and clinical work.
- Evaluates and grades students' class work, laboratory and clinic work, assignments, and papers.
- Keeps abreast of developments in the field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences.
- Plans, evaluates, and revises curricula, course content, course materials, and methods of instruction.
- Prepares and delivers lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as pharmacology, mental health nursing, and community health care practices.
- Prepares course materials, such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
- Initiates, facilitates, and moderates classroom discussions.
- Supervises undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work.
- Maintains student attendance records, grades, and other required records.
- Advises students on academic and vocational curricula and on career issues.