Designs or configures voice, video, and data communications systems. Supervises installation and post-installation service and maintenance.
This career is part of the Information Technology cluster Network Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Communicates with telecommunications vendors to obtain pricing and technical specifications for available hardware, software, or services.
- Keeps abreast of changes in industry practices and emerging telecommunications technology by reviewing current literature, talking with colleagues, participating in educational programs, attending meetings or workshops, or participating in professional organizations or conferences.
- Implements or performs preventive maintenance, backup, or recovery procedures.
- Consults with users, administrators, and engineers to identify business and technical requirements for proposed system modifications or technology purchases.
- Installs, or coordinates installation of, new or modified hardware, software, or programming modules of telecommunications systems.
- Assesses existing facilities' needs for new or modified telecommunications systems.
- Orders or maintains inventory of telecommunications equipment for customer premises equipment (CPE), facilities, access networks, or backbone networks.
- Develops, maintains, or implements telecommunications disaster recovery plans to ensure business continuity.
- Monitors and analyzes system performance, such as network traffic, security, and capacity.
- Estimates costs for system or component implementation and operation.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.