Applies knowledge of nursing and informatics to assist in the design, development and ongoing modification of computerized health care systems. May educate staff and assist in problem solving to promote the implementation of the health care system.
This career is part of the Information Technology cluster Programming and Software Development pathway.
A person in this career:
- Designs, develops, selects, tests, implements, and evaluates new or modified informatics solutions, data structures, and decision-support mechanisms to support patients, health care professionals, and their information management and human-computer and human-technology interactions within health care contexts.
- Analyzes and interprets patient, nursing, or information systems data to improve nursing services.
- Applies knowledge of computer science, information science, nursing, and informatics theory to nursing practice, education, administration, or research, in collaboration with other health informatics specialists.
- Translates nursing practice information between nurses and systems engineers, analysts, or designers using object-oriented models or other techniques.
- Identifies, collects, records or analyzes data that are relevant to the nursing care of patients.
- Develops or implements policies or practices to ensure the privacy, confidentiality, or security of patient information.
- Develops strategies, policies or procedures for introducing, evaluating or modifying information technology applied to nursing practice, administration, education, or research.
- Reads current literature, talks with colleagues, and participates in professional organizations or conferences to keep abreast of developments in informatics.
- Provides consultation to nurses regarding hardware or software configuration.
- Disseminates information about nursing informatics science and practice to the profession, other health care professions, nursing students, and the public.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.