Plans, implements, upgrades, or monitors security measures for the protection of computer networks and information. May ensure appropriate security controls are in place that will safeguard digital files and vital electronic infrastructure. May respond to computer security breaches and viruses.
This career is part of the Information Technology cluster Network Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Develops plans to safeguard computer files against accidental or unauthorized modification, destruction, or disclosure and to meet emergency data processing needs.
- Monitors current reports of computer viruses to determine when to update virus protection systems.
- Encrypts data transmissions and erects firewalls to conceal confidential information as it is being transmitted and to keep out tainted digital transfers.
- Performs risk assessments and executes tests of data processing system to ensure functioning of data processing activities and security measures.
- Modifies computer security files to incorporate new software, corrects errors, or changes individual access status.
- Reviews violations of computer security procedures and discusses procedures with violators to ensure violations are not repeated.
- Confers with users to discuss issues such as computer data access needs, security violations, and programming changes.
- Documents computer security and emergency measures policies, procedures, and tests.
- Monitors use of data files and regulates access to safeguard information in computer files.
- Coordinates implementation of computer system plan with establishment personnel and outside vendors.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.