Provides and manages health education programs that help individuals, families, and their communities maximize and maintain healthy lifestyles. Collects and analyzes data to identify community needs prior to planning, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating programs designed to encourage healthy lifestyles, policies, and environments. May serve as resource to assist individuals, other health professionals, or the community, and may administer fiscal resources for health education programs.
This career is part of the Human Services cluster Family and Community Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Develops and presents health education and promotion programs, such as training workshops, conferences, and school or community presentations.
- Develops and maintains cooperative working relationships with agencies and organizations interested in public health care.
- Develops educational materials and programs for community agencies, local government, and state government.
- Prepares and distributes health education materials, such as reports, bulletins, and visual aids, to address smoking, vaccines, and other public health concerns.
- Supervises professional and technical staff in implementing health programs, objectives, and goals.
- Documents activities and records information, such as the numbers of applications completed, presentations conducted, and persons assisted.
- Collaborates with health specialists and civic groups to determine community health needs and the availability of services and to develop goals for meeting needs.
- Provides guidance to agencies and organizations on assessment of health education needs and on development and delivery of health education programs.
- Maintains databases, mailing lists, telephone networks, and other information to facilitate the functioning of health education programs.
- Designs and conducts evaluations and diagnostic studies to assess the quality and performance of health education programs.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.