Conducts qualitative and quantitative chemical analyses or experiments in laboratories for quality or process control or to develop new products or knowledge.
This career is part of the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics cluster Science and Mathematics pathway.
A person in this career:
- Analyzes organic or inorganic compounds to determine chemical or physical properties, composition, structure, relationships, or reactions, using chromatography, spectroscopy, or spectrophotometry techniques.
- Conducts quality control tests.
- Maintains laboratory instruments to ensure proper working order and troubleshoots malfunctions when needed.
- Prepares test solutions, compounds, or reagents for laboratory personnel to conduct tests.
- Induces changes in composition of substances by introducing heat, light, energy, or chemical catalysts for quantitative or qualitative analysis.
- Evaluates laboratory safety procedures to ensure compliance with standards or to make improvements as needed.
- Compiles and analyzes test information to determine process or equipment operating efficiency or to diagnose malfunctions.
- Writes technical papers or reports or prepares standards and specifications for processes, facilities, products, or tests.
- Confers with scientists or engineers to conduct analyses of research projects, interpret test results, or develop nonstandard tests.
- Develops, improves, or customizes products, equipment, formulas, processes, or analytical methods.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.