Drives bus or motor coach, including regular route operations, charters, and private carriage. May assist passengers with baggage. May collect fares or tickets.
This career is part of the Transportation, Distribution and Logistics cluster Transportation Operations pathway.
A person in this career:
- Drives vehicles over specified routes or to specified destinations according to time schedules, complying with traffic regulations to ensure that passengers have a smooth and safe ride.
- Parks vehicles at loading areas so that passengers can board.
- Inspects vehicles and checks gas, oil, and water levels prior to departure.
- Announces stops to passengers.
- Assists passengers, such as elderly or disabled individuals, on and off bus, ensure they are seated properly, helps carry baggage, and answers questions about bus schedules or routes.
- Collects tickets or cashes fares from passengers.
- Handles passenger emergencies or disruptions.
- Reports delays or accidents.
- Advises passengers to be seated and orderly while on vehicles.
- Regulates heating, lighting, and ventilating systems for passenger comfort.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.