Drives automobiles, vans, or limousines to transport passengers. May occasionally carry cargo. Includes hearse drivers.
This career is part of the Transportation, Distribution and Logistics cluster Transportation Operations pathway.
A person in this career:
- Tests vehicle equipment, such as lights, brakes, horns, or windshield wipers, to ensure proper operation.
- Follows relevant safety regulations and state laws governing vehicle operation and ensures that passengers follow safety regulations.
- Notifies dispatchers or company mechanics of vehicle problems.
- Drives taxicabs, limousines, company cars, or privately owned vehicles to transport passengers.
- Provides passengers with assistance entering and exiting vehicles and helps them with any luggage.
- Completes accident reports when necessary.
- Performs routine vehicle maintenance, such as regulating tire pressure and adding gasoline, oil, and water.
- Picks up passengers at prearranged locations, at taxi stands, or by cruising streets in high traffic areas.
- Communicates with dispatchers by radio, telephone, or computer to exchange information and receive requests for passenger service.
- Arranges to pick up particular customers or groups on a regular schedule.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.