Transports students between pick-up points and school. Maintains order during trip and adheres to safety rules when loading and unloading students.
This career is part of the Transportation, Distribution and Logistics cluster Transportation Operations pathway.
A person in this career:
- Follows safety rules as students board and exit buses or cross streets near bus stops.
- Complies with traffic regulations to operate vehicles in a safe and courteous manner.
- Checks the condition of a vehicle's tires, brakes, windshield wipers, lights, oil, fuel, water, and safety equipment to ensure that everything is in working order.
- Maintains order among pupils during trips to ensure safety.
- Escorts small children across roads and highways.
- Reports any bus malfunctions or needed repairs.
- Picks up and drops off students at different neighborhood locations, following strict time schedules.
- Maintains knowledge of first-aid procedures.
- Prepares and submits reports that may include the number of passengers or trips, hours worked, mileage, fuel consumption, or fares received.
- Drives gasoline, diesel, or electrically powered multi-passenger vehicles to transport students between neighborhoods, schools, and school activities.