Conducts research in fundamental mathematics or in application of mathematical techniques to science, management, and other fields. Solves problems in various fields using mathematical methods.
This career is part of the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics cluster Science and Mathematics pathway.
A person in this career:
- Develops mathematical or statistical models of phenomena to be used for analysis or for computational simulation.
- Assemble sets of assumptions and explores the consequences of each set.
- Applies mathematical theories and techniques to the solution of practical problems in business, engineering, the sciences, or other fields.
- Conducts research to extend mathematical knowledge in traditional areas, such as algebra, geometry, probability, and logic.
- Maintains knowledge in the field by reading professional journals, talking with other mathematicians, and attending professional conferences.
- Performs computations and applies methods of numerical analysis to data.
- Develops new principles and new relationships between existing mathematical principles to advance mathematical science.
- Develops computational methods for solving problems that occur in areas of science and engineering or that come from applications in business or industry.
- Disseminates research by writing reports, publishing papers, or presenting at professional conferences.
- Addresses the relationships of quantities, magnitudes, and forms through the use of numbers and symbols.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.