Compiles information and records to draw up purchase orders for procurement of materials and services.
This career is part of the Business Management and Administration cluster Administrative Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Performs buying duties when necessary.
- Prepares purchase orders and sends copies to suppliers and to departments originating requests.
- Compares suppliers' bills with bids and purchase orders to verify accuracy.
- Prepares, maintains, and reviews purchasing files, reports and price lists.
- Checks shipments when they arrive to ensure that orders have been filled correctly and that goods meet specifications.
- Compares prices, specifications, and delivery dates to determine the best bid among potential suppliers.
- Reviews requisition orders to verify accuracy, terminology, and specifications.
- Determines if inventory quantities are sufficient for needs, ordering more materials when necessary.
- Calculates costs of orders, and charges or forwards invoices to appropriate accounts.
- Maintains knowledge of all organizational and governmental rules affecting purchases, and provides information about these rules to organization staff members and to vendors.