Prepares incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. Uses hand or mail handling machines to time stamp, open, read, sort, and route incoming mail; and address, seal, stamp, fold, stuff, and affix postage to outgoing mail or packages. Duties may also include keeping necessary records and completed forms.
This career is part of the Business Management and Administration cluster Administrative Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Wraps packages or bundles by hand, or by using tying machines.
- Verifies that items are addressed correctly, marked with the proper postage, and in suitable condition for processing.
- Removes containers of sorted mail or parcels and transfers them to designated areas according to established procedures.
- Sorts and routes incoming mail, and collects outgoing mail, using carts as necessary.
- Affixes postage to packages or letters by hand, or stamps materials, using postage meters.
- Determines manner in which mail is to be sent, and prepares it for delivery to mailing facilities.
- Accepts and checks containers of mail or parcels from large volume mailers, couriers, and contractors.
- Seals or opens envelopes, by hand or by using machines.
- Weighs packages or letters to determine postage needed, using weighing scales and rate charts.
- Operates embossing machines or typewriters to make corrections, additions, and changes to address plates.