Plans, directs, or coordinates research, instructional, student administration and services, and other educational activities at postsecondary institutions, including universities, colleges, and junior and community colleges.
This career is part of the Education and Training cluster Administration and Administrative Support pathway.
A person in this career:
- Designs or uses assessments to monitor student learning outcomes.
- Recruits, hires, trains, and terminates departmental personnel.
- Directs, coordinates, and evaluates the activities of personnel, including support staff engaged in administering academic institutions, departments, or alumni organizations.
- Advises students on issues such as course selection, progress toward graduation, and career decisions.
- Plans, administers, and controls budgets, maintain financial records, and produces financial reports.
- Formulates strategic plans for the institution.
- Establishes operational policies and procedures and makes any necessary modifications, based on analysis of operations, demographics, and other research information.
- Provides assistance to faculty and staff in duties such as teaching classes, conducting orientation programs, issuing transcripts, and scheduling events.
- Represents institutions at community and campus events, in meetings with other institution personnel, and during accreditation processes.
- Prepares reports on academic or institutional data.