Administers, tests, and implements computer databases, applying knowledge of database management systems. Coordinates changes to computer databases. May plan, coordinate, and implement security measures to safeguard computer databases.
This career is part of the Information Technology cluster Network Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Tests programs or databases, corrects errors and makes necessary modifications.
- Modifies existing databases and database management systems or directs programmers and analysts to make changes.
- Plans, coordinates and implements security measures to safeguard information in computer files against accidental or unauthorized damage, modification or disclosure.
- Works as part of a project team to coordinate database development and determine project scope and limitations.
- Writes and codes logical and physical database descriptions and specifies identifiers of database to management system or directs others in coding descriptions.
- Trains users and answers questions.
- Specifies users and user access levels for each segment of database.
- Approves, schedules, plans, and supervises the installation and testing of new products and improvements to computer systems such as the installation of new databases.
- Reviews project requests describing database user needs to estimate time and cost required to accomplish project.
- Develops standards and guidelines to guide the use and acquisition of software and to protect vulnerable information.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.