Plans, directs, or coordinates the activities of a social service program or community outreach organization. Oversees the program or organization's budget and policies regarding participant involvement, program requirements, and benefits. Work may involve directing social workers, counselors, or probation officers.
This career is part of the Human Services cluster Family and Community Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Establishes and oversees administrative procedures to meet objectives set by boards of directors or senior management.
- Directs activities of professional and technical staff members and volunteers.
- Evaluates the work of staff and volunteers to ensure that programs are of appropriate quality and that resources are used effectively.
- Participates in the determination of organizational policies regarding such issues as participant eligibility, program requirements, and program benefits.
- Prepares and maintains records and reports, such as budgets, personnel records, or training manuals.
- Provides direct service and support to individuals or clients, such as handling a referral for child advocacy issues, conducting a needs evaluation, or resolving complaints.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with other agencies and organizations in community to meet community needs and to ensure that services are not duplicated.
- Recruits, interviews, and hires or signs up volunteers and staff.
- Researches and analyzes member or community needs to determine program directions and goals.
- Implements and evaluates staff, volunteer, or community training programs.